A Simple Guide to Shopping For a Quality Hair Straightener in 2021
Hair straighteners, also known as flat irons, are becoming a must-have in women’s collections of hair tools. They are versatile styling equipment that make hair maintenance a walk in the park. In fact, many recommend going for the best BaByliss flat irons.
Why? Because of their quality. Note, good quality often translates to good and long-lasting performance. But, what if you want something different; i.e. by another brand? Well, if that’s the case, you need to know how to identify a quality product.
So, here are a few guiding points on how to find a straightener that’s worth your money:
1. The Type of Plate Material
Hair straightener plates are made from a variety of materials. Any expert will tell you that plates are an important factor to consider when purchasing a straightener. So, how can you know the best material to purchase? I know this can seem a bit complicated so let me make it easier to understand.
- Ceramic plates are the most common in the market. Why? They distribute heat evenly, hence, are less likely to overheat and damage your hair. It is one of the best materials because it is adaptable and can work on different types of hair.
- The Titanium plate, on the other hand, is the most durable option available. Generally, these plates offer better quality than a ceramic plate. They are, however, a bit pricey because of their top-notch qualities. And can damage your hair if you are not careful.
Most brands usually claim to be pure ceramic; when they are coated ceramic. To ensure you buy the right tool, look out for the words pure ceramic or solid ceramic.
2. Your Hair Type
Your hair type plays a big role in determining the kind of hair straightener you should use. There isn’t a one-fits-all when it comes to hair straighteners. So, let’s look at the different types of hair and the right kind of straightener for each:
- Thick Hair: This type is usually a bit rough and tough most of the time. Thus, it needs a straightener with high-temperature settings. On the plus side, thick hair is less likely to get damaged easily due to high heat.
- Thin Hair: Now, you should note that heat can easily damage thin and fine hair. Therefore, for this kind of hair, you will need a straightener that has medium to low heat settings.
- Curly Hair: This type is generally frizzy and can be very difficult to straighten. That’s why, for this, you’ll need a flat iron with wide plates. Why? Because they have a better grip that allows you to straighten large sections of hair at once.
3. Features and Settings
Hair straighteners come with a variety of features that differ based on brands. Anyway, the general features to consider when buying a hair straightener are:
- Heat Up Time: How long does it take for a hair straightener to heat up? It is different for every hair straightener. However, a quality straightener should have a short heat-up time.
- Temperature Settings: A good straightener has adjustable temperature settings. So, you can adjust to the temperature that is just right for your hair type. As a bonus, consider getting a flat iron that indicates its temperature level. But, ensure you check how much power a straightener consumes before purchasing it.
- The Swivel Cord: A quality hair straightener has a swivel cord. This feature helps to protect the cord from damage. Plus, it is a safety precaution that allows you to use it flexibly without tripping over it.
- Automation: Finally, check for the automatic shut-off feature. It helps to save energy and prevent fires whenever it sits idle for long or you forget to turn it off.
Note that using poor-quality tools is one of the many causes of hair damage and loss. The quality of your hair straightener can either make or break your hair. It is, therefore, necessary that you make the right choice. This short guide will ensure you buy your ideal flat iron with ease. Good luck,