Often fostering teenagers is regarded as a misunderstood part of foster parenting. But not any longer as this post will help in clearing up these misunderstandings. Now the question is how to foster teenagers successfully? Most people learn through trial and error yet below are some tried and tested tips that will help you a great deal in the process.
- Keep Eyes Wide-Open- First and foremost you need to prepare yourself to see or hear anything. After all, a teenager’s world is a torrent of feelings and emotions already. Offensive language and shocking behavior will be quite common. Avoid entering with naivety. Just keep the eyes wide open and expect anything.
- Be Compassionate and Have an Open Heart- The next is to be compassionate and keep a heart open. Most teenagers come from immensely difficult places, so they demand extra love and compassion.
- Set Clear Boundaries– After you bring a teenager home sit with him/her in the kitchen and go over the guidelines. The teenager is quite likely to be apprehensive and nervous because they have come from an unhealthy environment. Give them some time to adjust.
- Contact the Case Manager- It is best to document everything which happens with the teenager. If ever there are questions raised or there are any accusations by the teenager or the court this information will help a great deal.
- Prepare for the Worst- This is easier said than done. There is a lot of apprehension with fostering a teenager. In many ways, they are akin to miniature adults. They can talk as well as reason just as adults. It can be intimidating. And if you add serious issues such as where he/she has come from, this will result in a recipe for trouble. There are indeed bad situations of which some may have created big issues for families yet be prepared and do not be afraid. Prevent allowing fear in directing your heart. Instead, follow what the heart says and go ahead with teenage fostering with wisdom yet never give fear the ounce of leverage. Remember if fear fills your heart you cannot go with teenage fostering. To know more browse the URL of leading foster care providers.
- Prepare Yourself Personally- The best tip to follow with regards to fostering teenagers is to prepare for their arrival emotionally, mentally and also spiritually. It will take immense energy out of you or more than expected. You require to be in a perfect state else you are likely to get drained quickly.
The bottom line is if you are not yet ready in fostering teenagers then do not. But if you sound the alarm after the fact it will create a lot of harm. The damage in most cases is done already. The best step will be to conduct plenty of research, take time to patiently listen and learn and ask a long list of questions. Fostering teenagers and fostering young kids share some similarities yet has some major differences too. A dialogue with other foster parents that have handled teenagers can create a lot of difference. All the Best!!!