In vitro fertilization or IVF refers to a medical procedure that several individuals and couples turn to when dealing with fertility issues. A substantial percentage of couples require some type of fertility assistance during their lifetime. While there are other options for treatment aside from IVF, like intra uterine insemination and ovulation induction, IVF continues to be the most widely talked about among the available treatment options.
The IVF procedure has several benefits for couples who face infertility problems. Before beginning an IVF cycle, it is essential for an individual or couple to be aware of what the process entails. Fertility specialists are available to outline and explain the whole process in order to ensure that informed decisions are made.
The biggest advantage of undergoing the IVF procedure is a successful pregnancy that leads to the birth of a healthy baby. However, this may not be the income for everyone who undertakes IVF as it is not always the most effective approach for everyone.
- IVF can be used to find a way around the problems that affect a woman’s fallopian tubes. This was the actual reason for pioneering IVF in the beginning to enable women who had tubal blockages or damage to have children of their own.
- Confirming fertilization is another worthwhile benefit of IVF treatment. This reason for subfertility in some people is classified as unknown. In such instances, there may be a problem with the sperm and egg interacting normally, which prevents the creation of an embryo. Find out more about IVF in Dallas
- If the egg and sperm do not interact during the IVF cycle and embryos are not created, this is referred to as failed fertilization. Although this can be a devastating result, it also provides insight into why a couple has not been successful in naturally achieving a pregnancy in the past.
- The next step after a failed fertilization would ideally be another IVF cycle. This is an opportunity to try out ICS or intracytoplasmic sperm injection as a technique for fertilization. Failure to produce fertilization through this treatment makes it necessary for couples to consider other options with a fertility specialist.
- Using ICS in IVF has made it possible for men who have a very low sperm count or have had a vasectomy to father their own biological children.
IVF is a treatment option that can be used to create embryos for the purpose of testing them for abnormalities prior to transferring them into the womb or uterus. The incidences of children being born with challenging conditions can be reduced.
Pregnancy occurs when an embryo attaches to the lining of the uterus. The embryo transfer is performed at a fertility clinic or the doctor’s office and is not typically painful. You may get daily shots or take pills of the progesterone hormone for a specified number of weeks after the transfer so as to ease the survival of the embryo in your uterus.
IVF can be expensive and some states stipulate that insurance companies should cover all or some of the costs if certain requirements are fulfilled. However, several insurance companies do not provide any coverage for fertility treatment. The fees include medication, procedures, blood tests, ultrasounds, anesthesia, embryo storage and laboratory work. The actual cost of an IVF cycle will depend on the facility.