Do you have picky kids at home that only eat certain things? Here is part 2 of our Fun food for kids series. I bet they will find something they will love in these fun creations!
Check out part 1 of more Fun Foods!
Happy Food Crafting!
Easter Bunny Sandwiches
Here’s a quick and healthy Easter lunch the kids will love. It’s a creative idea found on Little Food Junction and it’s easy to make.
Simply cut out a piece of bread into a round shape, using a cookie cutter. Slice your vegetables to prepare the face including:
- Two cucumber slices, cut crosswise on an angle, so they look like ears
- 4 thin celery slices to form the whiskers
- 1 cherry tomato, cut in half for the nose
- Radish and olive slices for the eyes
- Peel thin strings off a parsley stem to form the mouth
Once your ingredients are ready, you can fry your egg. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Place a metal circle cookie cutter on the frying pan to make the round egg shape and crack an egg in. Cover with a lid until yolk is cooked to desired doneness and season with salt and pepper. Place the egg on the bread and assemble the other ingredients to form the face.
There’s always gold at the end of this rainbow fruit and vegetable platter, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year. All you have to do is arrange colorful fruits and/or vegetables into a rainbow shape and you’re good to go.
If you don’t have the fruits and veggies shown below, here are some variations ideas for you:
- Red: strawberries, cherry tomatoes, sliced tomatoes, red peppers, watermelon
- Orange: orange peppers, orange slices, orange cherry tomatoes, cantaloupe, carrots
- Yellow: pineapple, yellow peppers, banana slices, yellow beets, lemon slices
- Green: cucumber, green peppers, broccoli, celery, honeydew
- Blue, Indigo and Violet: blueberries, red grapes, concord grapes, red cabbage, blackberries, purple broccoli, eggplant
- Clouds: sliced egg whites, veggie or fruit dip cups, cauliflower, mushrooms, mini marshmallows, sliced bananas, bocconcini cheese
Heart Fruit Salad
Here’s a heart-healthy salad…literally. Use heart cookie cutters to cut out heart shaped watermelon and cantaloupe. Add some color with grapes or other berries.
You can finish it off with a string of watermelon hearts on a bamboo skewer. Cut out a triangle-shaped piece of cantaloupe to make the arrowhead and another triangle-like shape to make the fletching on the end.
These cute guys are made with a bamboo skewer, grapes and a cherry tomato. We’ve attached candy eyes with a little bit of peanut butter, but you can choose more healthy choices like cloves, olives or anything else you might have on hand. You could also apply food coloring with a toothpick to draw on a face.
All you do is string the grapes on the skewer. Turn each one slightly as you string them, so it looks like the caterpillar is crawling. Finish it off with the cherry tomato head and eyes. If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, just use another grape for the head.
PB and Banana Bear Sandwich
Here’s a cute little guy, sure to make any kid (young or old) smile. This great idea is inspired by Kids Soup and is so easy, even kids can put it together.
You can vary the ingredients how you’d like, but here’s what you can see the in the photo below.
- Peanut butter spread on one slice of bread
- Banana slices to the ears and snout.
- Grape slices for outline of the eyes.
Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.