When a baby is born the parents try to give the best care for their child, so they seek the professional services of the best pediatrician in their area. The way your child is cared for in their first years will affect the rest of their lives, so you better be sure that you get the right doctor.
Here are ten tips to choose a good pediatrician:
- Find out about the pediatricians who work in the clinic in which you have always received care at or the clinic that is closest to your residence. When a person has visited several times, a medical center can ask for references to the doctor who treats you or ask at the reception about the pediatricians who work at the place and their years of experience. In addition, you can look for the different doctors who offer their services near the area where you live. This is important in case of an emergency with the baby, proximity is essential to prevent aggravation of the child’s health problems.
- Look for feedback from friends and family regarding the treatment of pediatricians with their children. The knowledge of different opinions and experiences of people close to you, allows a better orientation and subsequent selection of the pediatrician that best suits your requirements. Many parents base the decision of choosing the best doctor for their baby from recommendations of others, which may generate some concern and insecurity since there is doubt whether the other persons judgement will compare to your own.
- Choose your baby’s pediatrician carefully. Choosing a pediatrician is a matter of importance, for that reason it is advisable to look for him or her in advance since it will be who will help to understand many situations of the development of the child, in addition he or she will be who attends you’re child in case of any illness or medical situation. That is why it is advisable that the mother starts searching when she is about five months pregnant. That way he or she will also become an ally of the same and give advice on the best way to care for a baby, it is great if the doctor can know your baby from before day 1, especially in the Case of first-time mothers that need some extra advice.
- Observe and assess the behavior of the doctor in the first consultation with the child. It is essential that the pediatrician treat with affection, kindness and be attentive to the baby. He must also be a patient person since babies are vulnerable to crying in the face of a stranger. A good doctor should know how to treat and reassure the child, above all, he or she should be a doctor who listens to parents in whatever they wish to tell them about their child’s health.
- The pediatrician should be accessible. This means that he or she is easy to call or reach at any time in case an emergency occurs with the child. Health professionals are always available to help parents solve emergencies and give them the peace of mind they need. In many cases there are doctors who do not provide emergency services which worries the parents since they do not know how to react in emergency situations. Emergency rooms can be a nightmare at times so it is helpful if your pediatrician is OK with being on call.
- He or she should generate total confidence. It is important to choose a pediatrician who has extensive knowledge. Experience is a huge factor when deciding the right doctor, be sure you are confident in your doctors diligence in the profession. On many occasions parents find unkind doctors, who treat children as a “product”, thereby losing confidence in their position because they do not produce empathy.
- Have extensive knowledge in pediatrics. When choosing a doctor for your children you should look for one who has experience and knowledge in children’s medicine. He must be willing and attentive to answer the questions and concerns of parents on a continuous basis. If the doctor doubts or hesitates with their answers, he or she may not have adequate knowledge to treat the baby.
- The office should be safe, clean and with a pleasing appearance. If you find objects that may be dangerous to a baby that is just beginning to walk, or if the clinic does not have adequate hygienic measures, it is advisable to look for another doctor’s office, since children may be at risk of getting hurt or acquire diseases.
- The pediatrician should be interested in the baby. It is important that the pediatrician asks many questions regarding the development of the baby from the womb to the first days of life, since with that information he or she will be able to put together a medical record suitable to treat the child. In addition, that shows interest in serving the child in the best way.
- The pediatrician should be thorough during the consultation. This means that he or she should examine the child carefully and observe every particular detail of the child. If you feel rushed during the first consultation, this is a good time to walk away and never come back.
To finish, before choosing the pediatrician who takes control of your children, it is essential that the parents feel at ease with the doctor. It will also be useful to know him or her before the baby is born so they can realize if they suit your needs. It is OK to narrow it down to a few for consideration and then see how each one cares for the child in the first visits.
Rebeca Urena is a writer who enjoys a healthy lifestyle at home and on her farm. She enjoys to read, cook and spend time at the beach. She is currently writing for http://www.taylorbenefitsi