Family reunions can be a great way to bond, but making them enjoyable and memorable takes some planning. When done well, family members will always remember and talk fondly about the reunion. Some ideas to make this happen.
Plan activities that will appeal to different generations. Have activities just for kids, just for teens, and just for different ages of adults. Be sure to also include activities that all age groups can enjoy together.
Serve unique food. People always remember special food experiences. Some ideas:
- Have a cooking contest where all non-cooks are judges.
- Set up a bar: a taco bar, a baked potato bar, a waffle bar, etc.
- Have a potluck where everyone has to bring a favorite family dish.
- Have a campfire and grill hot dogs, s’mores, and more.
Get custom T-shirts made with a unique design. Every time the t-shirt is worn, it will bring the wearer right back to the reunion. Companies like Absolute Screen Printing make great shirts and can also take your idea and turn it into a fun custom design.
Center the reunion around a unique outing or two. Some ideas:
- Take a bus tour of an area with family significance.
- Go to a professional sporting event or the theater or any similar kind of big, memorable outing.
- Volunteer somewhere as a group.
- Take a class (cooking, painting, etc.) together.
Take care in how you document the festivities. Encourage everyone to take pictures and videos and make it easy to share them afterward. Put someone in charge of making a digital scrapbook and consider making photo books. Make sure that you share it with everyone that is in attendance.
Include plenty of games to facilitate getting to know one another. This is especially helpful for those new to the family, like new spouses, but these games can also help deepen the bonds of those who already know each other well.
Have a talent show, and make sure everyone participates in some way. Every family is full of hidden talents. Give the amazing singers, dancers, comedians, and musicians in your midst a chance to shine!
Implement one or more of these ideas and your family reunion will go down in the family record books. Making the event unique and varied will help ensure your reunion is memorable.