Interesting Facts About Dogs
Dogs have been known to be man’s best friend. There are many facts about them that are common to everyone, but there are many fascinating facts about these wonderful companions that may surprise you!
Here are some of these interesting facts:
- Dogs have better vision in low light, actually much better than that of humans. This is because of a special addition behind the retina of the dog’s eye that gives them this better vision. So your dog is a great companion at night because he is able to see more clearly than you.
- The prints on the dog’s nose are as unique as a human’s finger print! They can be used to identify the dog. This is one amazing fact in dogs that has a striking similarity in humans.
- Dogs have an incredible sense of smell. Their sense of smell is actually around one million times stronger than a human’s. This is why they are sometimes used in tracking and sniffing out illegal items such as drugs.
- Puppies love to sleep. In fact they sleep for 90% of the day for the first few weeks of his life. This is rather similar to human babies who also enjoy sleeping for most of the day during their beginning weeks of life.
- The physical maturity of a one year old dog is actually the same as that of a 15 year old human!
- Dogs and humans are the only ones who have a prostate.
- The United States have probably the highest birth of dogs annually; over 5 million puppies are born every year. The US also has the highest number of dog population in the world!
- Dogs may have good low light vision, but when a puppy is born, their eyes are not fully open. It is only when they are around 12 days old that the eyes open fully.
- Unlike humans who sweat all over, dogs sweat only on the pads of their feet.
- As much as dogs have a fantastic sense of smell, a new born puppy cannot hear and smell until they are 3 weeks old. So when they begin to have a sense of smell, it’s perfect.
- Dog food which is raw tends to be better in the long run. In fact, research has shown that dogs which were fed on cooked food aged much faster than their counter parts that were given raw dog food.
- Dogs are as intelligent as a 2 year old human. This is probably why your 2 year old and his dog seem to get along so well and are able to communicate in their own way. They are on the same basic level of understanding.
- The hearing of dogs is excellent. It is actually 4 times better than humans. They also manage to hear even high-pitched sounds.
- Dogs can detect your emotions simply by picking up your smell. If you are sweating because of anxiety or fear, then the dog will pick up the smell and actually detect that you are nervous.
I believe you have been pleasantly surprised by the above facts and you will now look at your dog with new found insight and understanding!