Having great skin is probably #goals for most people, no matter their age. From teenagers and young adults to adults and seniors, everyone wants beautiful, flawless skin. If that sounds like you, you might be wondering exactly what you can do to get the right skincare. Below you’ll find advice you can adopt today that’ll get you the gorgeous skin you desire.
What You Should Do No Matter Your Age
Figure out your skin type before you start any kind of skincare routine. There are four main types of skin:
To determine your skin type, pay attention to your skin after a shower. Greasy or shiny skin may indicate an oily skin type. If your skin is itchy or flaking, you may have dry skin. Combination skin will have patches of both oily and dry skin. Normal skin will have no real noticeable indicators. Once you know your skin type, you can start looking for products that can help with your specific issues.
For the Teens
Getting through your teen years without a blemish seems like a fairy tale. The truth is, most people don’t escape their teen years without their fair share of skin issues (like teen acne) and it’s often due to hormonal changes. If you want clear, beautiful skin, follow these tips:
- Use a face mask or face pack twice monthly
- Exfoliate once a week
- Change your diet (if necessary)
- Drink lots of water
- Avoid popping pimples (no matter how tempting it is)
- Find good teen acne products
- Avoid facial scrubs
- Apply only light makeup (and remember to wash it off)
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
Get into the habit of doing a daily facial routine if you can. Staying consistent with your efforts means healthier skin overall.
For Young Adults (18-29)
If you’re like most young adults, you’ve probably established a daily skincare routine that may or may not be working for you. If it isn’t working for you, it might be time to rethink the products you’re using and the ingredients in them. Follow these tips for beautiful, healthy skin:
- Exfoliate regularly (use products with salicylic, alpha, or beta hydroxy acids)
- Use sunscreen every day and avoid scrubs
- Start an anti-aging routine (by using products with retinol)
- Eat healthy foods and exercise
- Find a good cleanser (a gentle one without drying agents)
- Use oil-free products during the warmer months
- Moisturize daily
And as you should already know, avoid sleeping in your makeup. It’ll only hurt your skin in the long run.
For the Adults (30-55)
In your 30s, hormone levels start to decrease, along with the rate of collagen and elastin production. To keep your skin in tip-top shape in adulthood, these tips can help:
- Know that hyaluronic acid is your friend
- Lightly cleanse every morning
- Exfoliate to remove dead skin
- Follow up with a toner (to tighten pores, eliminate toxins, and rebalance your skin)
- Avoid using wipes
- As always, moisturize daily (preferably with a serum)
- Use a good sunscreen
- Consider using night cream and eye cream
If you’re still struggling, don’t be afraid to visit a dermatologist and get a professional opinion.
For Seniors (55+)
Seniors face unique problems when it comes to skincare, including things like:
- Allergic reactions
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Reduced collagen and elasticity
Luckily, there are home remedies and special products you can use to whip your skin into shape so you can get your confidence back. Some of those remedies include:
- Adding oils into your next bath (and making it a short bath)
- Massaging the skin
- Using mild pH-balanced soap
- Using a humidifier in your bedroom
- Using a moisturizer with natural ingredients
Drinking plenty of water and using anti-aging skincare products can also help remedy some of your skin issues.
Finding the Right Products
Taking better care of your skin is essential if you want to look and feel your best. With the above information, you should feel confident that you can figure out your skin type and find the right products to get you healthy, glowing skin.