Gas stoves are widely used in most homes and restaurants because of the numerous benefits they provide. Some of these benefits include better temperature control, compatibility with a wide range of cookware and ability to cook meals using different methods. If you want to enjoy these benefits in the long run, then you need to make gas safety in your home a top priority. This is very important especially if you have young kids who look up to you for protection. There are several gas safety tips available, but we’ll discuss five of the most common ones in this article.
Our aim is to help you use your gas appliances properly so that you can keep your entire family safe, so read on:
Check The Suitability Of Your Gas Appliances Before Moving Into A New Home
If you’ve just bought a new home, it’s not advisable to assume that the gas appliances there are safe. So, don’t relocate before a qualified gas engineer has checked all the appliances to make sure they’re suitable for the gas type you intend to use and your location.
Keep Your Kids Away From Your Gas Appliances
Our kids are very curious by nature. When they see you turning your stove on, they’ll naturally want to know what that fire feels like. That’s why you’ll sometimes find them trying to turn the knob on while you’re not watching. But, as we all know, doing such things can get them and your entire house burnt. So, ensure that your gas stove knobs have safety covers when they’re not being used to keep your children safe at all times.
Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
We’re sure you’ve heard of people who have died in their sleep because of carbon monoxide poisoning. There are also numerous others who suffer from various health problems caused by carbon monoxide exposure. This should tell you just how dangerous carbon monoxide is and make you serious about protecting your family from accidental poisoning. But, before you do anything else, you need to know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Some symptoms to look out for include nausea, headaches, breathlessness, and dizziness.
You may even lose consciousness in extreme cases. However, since you can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide, it’s not always easy to know if you’ve been accidentally exposed to it. So the best way to protect your family is by investing in a carbon monoxide detector. These detectors are audible and will produce a sound whenever carbon monoxide in your home rises beyond the recommended level.
As soon as you get the alert, you and your family should do the following:
- Turn off your gas supply at the meter.
- Turn off all gas appliances in your home.
- Open all windows and doors to allow fresh air into your home.
- Put off any naked flames.
- Get to the hospital immediately for proper checkup and treatment. Be sure to tell your doctor about the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
- Stay out of your property until the problem has fixed professionally.
Hire professionals To Perform Installations And Regular Checkups On Your Gas Appliances
Apart from causing carbon monoxide poisoning, leaks due to improper installation of gas appliances can also cause an explosion if there’s an open flame in your home. When this happens, you can lose your life, your home and everything in it. It’s, therefore, crucial to hire a professional gas engineer to install your new gas appliances properly. The engineer should also perform regular checks and maintenance services on your gas fittings and appliances. This is to ensure that potential problems are identified and addressed early before they become bigger and more expensive. Performing regular checks will also help your appliances to last longer and remain in top condition.
Know How To Spot Gas Appliances That Are Not Working Properly
Continuing to use a gas appliance that’s not working properly is not advisable because it puts the lives of family members at risk. Therefore, to protect them, you need to know how to check the warning signs early so that your appliance can be repaired or replaced in time. Common signs to look out for include:
- Staining or soot on or around the gas appliance
- Production of orange or yellow flames
- Going out of pilot lights more often
- More condensation on the inside of your windows
Gas appliances remain an important part of our homes because of their numerous benefits. However, using them also come with serious safety risks that we all have to be aware of. We hope the above safety tips will help keep family and properties safe and enable you to get the most out of your gas appliances in the long run.