It’s the perfect time of year for SOUP!
It’s chilly out and nothing warms you up like a great bowl of soup! One my favorites is Bacon Potato soup! It’s like a meal all on it’s own! Even kids like it- it has nothing in it they don’t like. Add a little cheese on top and they will eat it all up and ask for more!
What’s your favorite type of soup?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
8 oz. thick-cut bacon, diced
½ small red onion, diced
2 large celery stalks, diced
2 large carrots, diced
4 c. chicken broth, preferably organic, divided
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
1 T. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
2 T. fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 lb. red potatoes, cut into chunks
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
2 c. kale, chopped, tough stems discarded
8 oz. cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- Add bacon to a large Dutch oven or soup pot set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess grease. Set aside.
- Carefully drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon of remaining bacon grease from pot.
Add red onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté until the vegetables soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth to pan and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom with a spatula. Add remaining broth, chicken, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and red potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Add chopped kale and cream cheese and stir until the kale is wilted and the cheese is melted, approximately 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Be sure to pin for later!