Technology is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? We use technology all the time in our lives, even in our education! Between tablets, smartphones, computers, TVs, you name it…most things are plugged in and connected all of the time. But sometimes, I think we need a break and need to step back to reconnect with our friends and family. We recently went to a family reunion in the middle of nowhere and barely had cell phone service, much less internet connections. So we decided to unplug to unwind while enjoying the weekend together without any screens.
- Flip’n Chips – Shake up the can, pop the top, and pour the pieces out! Players take turns flipping over pieces to create matches. Get seven of your matches and you win the game! This is a great game with few rules to follow, perfect for ages 6 and up and 2-4 players. Even the younger kids can get in on the action, once they can help match colors and shapes.
- Color Smash – Ready for a fun, fast-paced game? Then you have to play Color Smash. Open the paint can, deal the cards face down among the players, and start flipping your top card on the center pile. Match the color paint splat on the card with the correct color name printed, and slap your hand on the deck. Name it correctly AND get your hand down first, you win the pile. If you slap and you’re wrong, then you give up your own cards to the deck. Player with the most cards at the end of the game wins! You can play competition style too for added difficulty. A great game for ages 6 and up, with 2 or more players. Warning, we got loud during this game, so fair warning!
- I-Top: Spin it to win it with this colorful top! The digital tracker keeps a tally of how many spins your top has completed so you can challenge your friends. You can also complete special challenges to unlock other features and animations, while the top is spinning. No screen or app needed, just give it a good twist and watch it spin! Available in several colors so you can keep track of your I-Top.
- Zoom Ball Hydro – This is like a football strung on strings, with two sets of handles on either ends. As you pull your handles further apart, it tightens the strings and forces the ball in the opposite direction. But inside the ball is a water balloon, which will explode at any time so you have to pay attention and shoot it back before it soaks you! This is a great outside game for kids and adults alike!
- Zoom Ball – Instead of playing catch with a ball, you simply pull your handles apart, sending the ball on the strings flying back towards your opponent, who has to pull their handles apart to send it back to you! If the ball hits your handles, you lose. Do tricks, over the head shots, whatever you want as long as you send the ball sailing back to the other player.
- Rocket Rod – Teaching a child to fish? Got a younger child who wants to fish but can’t quite figure out a traditional rod and reel? Then this may be just the rod for them. Simply help them load the bait of your choice, tuck back inside the compartment, pump the rocket, and launch it toward the water! The compartment will open with the bait to release it into the water, and it’s already waited down and has a safety bobber already strung. If they can pump the Rocket Rod like a toy gun, hold the handle, and squeeze the trigger, then they can use it to fish with the rest of the family.
When you head out for the day, an evening, or even an entire weekend to spend time with friends and family, you don’t want to waste it by being behind a screen the whole time! There’s plenty of that during the rest of the week.
During our family reunion, not only did we have some of the site’s facilities to use like the inflatable diving platform, boats, and gaga ball pit, we also wanted to have other options in case the weather turned bad or if we had those that can’t be as physically active as the rougher kids.
This was a great time to set up the games and toys in the main hall so the rest of the family could pick up something to play while waiting for a meal or spending a rainy afternoon together. And since none of these options require a lot of set up or rules, they were easy to change out and pick up easy enough.
So the next time you need time to unplug to unwind, be sure to check out all of these options from companies like Jax Games, Pressman Toys, and Goliath Games. They have something for everyone, whether you’re looking for a game, toys, or even fishing rods for the new anglers in your life!
Our weekend was so much fun! Between the tub of games and simply being together doing things; my crew can’t wait for another unplug to connect weekend.
Make time now for some family time before the holidays roll in. Grab some games and head to the park or campground. Your family might whine..for a little while but in the end, the family bonds will be strengthened by the interactions with each other instead of an electronic device.
We’ve added these great toys and games to our 2018 MEGA Merry Christmas Gift Guide! Check it out here!