Memorial Day is HERE! So, that means it’s the official start of “grilling season.” It also means we might need some reminding about how to maintain healthy eating routines during the summer months without sacrificing the best flavors of the grill.
Danielle Omar, registered dietician, shares how you can become the ultimate “grill master” with these tips to swap out dishes high in saturated fat with the good fat in avocados!
- Looking for a fresh take on classic grilled fruits and veggies? It’s as simple as throwing some avocados on the grill for a fast, tasty appetizer. Get the Recipe for these Easy Grilled Avocados HERE.
- Mayonnaise tends to be a go-to spread for burgers and sandwiches, but a swap for avocado will maintain the creamy texture while providing good fats and zero cholesterol in every serving. Not only are avocados delicious on burgers, but a study from UCLA showed that when eaten with red meat, avocados may help reduce inflammation.
- Here is a fact from the study that I found interesting: After eating a burger with one-half of a fresh medium Hass Avocado, some of the after-meal effects observed after eating a plain burger, specifically inflammation and narrowing blood vessels, were reduced within hours.
- With less sugar than a standard bowl of ice cream, an study will ease the last of the summer heat while tickling your taste buds.
Avocado and Coconut Ice Pop Recipe:
Simple ingredients for a refreshing treat: coconut milk, honey, avocado and lime are blended and placed in molds (any mold works, like a paper cup with a popsicle stick).
Recipe provided by the Hass Avocado Board.
- 1 fresh avocado
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey (may substitute with 2 Tbsp. sugar)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place avocado, coconut milk, honey and lemon into blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into 5 oz. paper cups. Place in freezer until firm, but not frozen. About 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Insert popsicle sticks and sprinkle even amounts of shredded coconut into each cup.
- Return to freezer for about 4 hours until firm
Get grilling tips, as well as delicious, easy-to-make and healthy summer recipes, HERE: summer grilling.
How do YOU like to eat Avocados? Let us know in the comments below!