Roses are one of the post popular flowers to give at any time of year. They have a real sense of romance about them. If you receive roses in a bouquet then, chances are, you will feel very special.
The problem with any flowers is that they do not last forever, but there are actions you can take to keep them looking amazing for as long as possible. This is even the case if your roses start to wilt.
Professional florists will tell you that there are steps you can take to look after a bouquet to keep it in good condition for longer. We are going to take a look at these steps, and how you can revive a rose even after it has wilted.
How to keep your roses looking fresh
If you receive a bouquet of roses, here are some of the things you should do to keep the flowers looking fresh.
- Always place flowers in a clean vase as bacteria can cause them to die sooner.
- Cut the stems of the flowers at an angle, by about 1.5 inches.
- Remove any leaves from the bottom of the stems.
- Use any sachets of flower food that are provided with the flowers.
- You can also use two tablespoons of sugar or vinegar to provide nutrients for the flowers,
- Change the water in the vase every other day and replace the flower food when you do.
If you follow all of this advice then your roses should remain looking fresh for as long as possible.
How to revive roses that are wilting
If a rose starts to wilt it does not mean that you cannot get it back looking good. There is an easy cure for wilting that you can use. These are the steps that you need to follow for any rose that has wilted:
- Re-cut the stem of the rose.
- Submerge the entire rose in water, including the flower.
- Leave the rose submerged for thirty minutes.
- Thoroughly wash and refill the vase.
- Place the rose back in the vase.
If you follow these steps then your roses should remain in good condition for at least a further week. Even after this week has elapsed you can still put the roses to use. You can remove the rose petals and spread them on some newspaper, leaving them to dry out. After this you can add some lavender or essential oils to the petals and use them as potpourri in your home.
As you can see one of the most important things to remember, if you receive roses, is that if you take good care of the bouquet it should last for a while. You can even refresh your roses if they begin to wilt. Of course, cut roses do not last forever, and it’s good to know that you can make use of the petals as potpourri once the roses start to die.
When was the last time you were given beautiful roses? Let us know in the comments below!