Warm weather is already starting to show it’s sun-kissed temperatures around here. That means that Spring is just around the corner. It also means we’ll soon be treated to the appearance of daffodils, cherry blossoms—and the Easter Beagle! Yes, our favorite chameleon beagle will be happily hopping from yard to yard, beagle-ears flapping, delivering brightly colored Easter eggs (and a beagle kiss or two) from his Easter basket. Here are some fun facts about the history of the Easter Beagle*
A Hopping Debut
- Snoopy first appeared as “the Easter Bunny” on April 14, 1968, but Charles Schulz did not give the character the name “the Easter Beagle” until three years later.
- In that first 1968 strip, Linus was the only one to witness “the Easter Bunny” dancing around the front yard and hiding eggs in the bushes—Lucy was too busy watching television to notice.
- On Sunday, April 11, 1971, the Easter Beagle made his official comic-strip debut. Again, Linus was the first one to interact with him (although it’s Lucy who gets the Beagle kiss!).
- As with the Great Pumpkin, Linus is often the Easter Beagle’s messenger in the comic strips, alerting the other characters to the upcoming appearance of the Easter Beagle.
- During his April 2, 1972 appearance, the Easter Beagle delivers eggs to the members of the Peanuts gang…but discovers his basket is empty when he gets to Charlie Brown. This idea was adapted into the animated television special.
- Fortunately, the following year, on April 22, 1973, Charlie Brown does receive an Easter egg—this time from the Easter Beagle’s assistant: Woodstock!
- After two more Easter Beagle strips in 1975 and 1976, the character made his last appearance on April 7, 1985—when Sally got the Charlie Brown treatment.
- Charles Schulz once said in an interview that the Easter Beagle was his favorite of all of Snoopy’s alter egos.
From Comics to TV – A Star is Born!
- The Easter Beagle made his television debut on April 9, 1974, when CBS first aired It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown.
- This was the 12th animated special to be based on the Peanuts comic strip, and the fourth to be associated with a holiday (the others are A Charlie Brown Christmas, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving).
- Much of the special concerns Peppermint Patty’s disastrous (and hilarious) attempts to make Easter eggs—she tries roasting them, toasting them, and putting them in a waffle maker before trying to boil them (and making egg soup!).
- Linus sounds the alert, letting everyone know that the Easter Beagle is coming. Sally, however, is a little suspicious, since the last time she believed Linus’s reports on a famous holiday character, she missed all the trick or treating while waiting with Linus in a pumpkin patch for the non-arrival of the Great Pumpkin.
- This year, It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown will air on ABC. (Date and time to be announced.)
Want that cute Easter Beagle in your Easter basket this year? Here is how you can make it happen and what you will win!
- An irresistible Easter Beagle porch greeter, delivering happiness to every household
- A DVD of It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown, offering holiday joy all year round
- Candy! (What Easter basket would be complete without it?) You’ll enjoy chocolate Easter eggs and delicious fruit sugar candies.
ENTER TO WIN!
Simply follow the Rafflecopter entry form below for your chance to win. Be sure to return tomorrow to complete the daily entries!
Giveaway is open to US Residents, ages 18+ years of age (limited to one entrant per household).
The giveaway ends on 03/20/16 at 11:59pm (ET)