I have to admit, I really didn’t like to cook. Notice I said Didn’t– past tense. Ever since my amazing Senior Staff Writer joined MDR, she has inspired me to take pride in what I make and take pictures of easy meals that any family would enjoy.
One of my family’s favorite easy meals is Taco Pie! We usually have Tacos on Thursday. But, we got tired of Taco Night, so I made this Taco Pie instead!
If you are like me, Easy equals The Perfect Recipe! That’s why my family loves Taco Pie. It’s easy to make, we can use different ingredients each time and can add more veggies to make it healthier! If your family enjoys veggies- be sure to add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, or black olives as toppings when you serve it. For a lower fat option, you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken in place of the ground beef.
- 6 tortillas- burrito size
- 2-4 cups of Cheddar Cheese
- Cheese sauce
- 1 pound of Lean ground beef (you can substitute ground turkey or chicken)
- Taco Sauce
- Cheesy Taco Mix
- ¼ cup of milk
- Sour cream
- Taco chips
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a large round casserole dish with Non-Stick Spray
- Brown the ground beef, drain the grease and follow the instructions on the Cheesy Taco Mix packet. I use milk to make the sauce creamier.
- In the casserole dish you are going to make layers.
- Start with a soft tortilla on the bottom- spread cheese and ⅓ of the taco meat
- Next layer- put another tortilla on and add cheese and taco sauce.
- Next layer- put another tortilla on and add ⅓ taco meat and cheese sauce
- Next layer- put another torilla on and add cheese and guacamole (optional)
- Next layer- put another tortilla on and add the rest of the taco meat
- Top layer- put another tortilla on and cover with remaining cheese and cheese sauce.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add Nacho Chips to the top and bake another 5 minutes to get the chips crispy.
- Let Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with any toppings your family enjoys- sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
What toppings does your family enjoy?