Guest Review: Written by my husband Johnny as I knew I couldn’t review this product accurately myself ~ Victoria
Just like all parents, my main goal in life is to protect my children and I try to take every precaution that I can to ensure their safety. You could easily say that I am a stickler for safety. I know first-hand the dangers relating to plug in receptacles. When was in my teens, I was plugging in the tv when something went wrong – the electrical socket exploded and started electrocuting me! My Uncle knocked me off of the socket with a broom. My fingers were black and burnt. I was lucky.
Facts: Electricity and Children
“Thousands of kids require emergency room treatment every year – despite widespread use of existing safety measures. Beyond obvious burns and scarring, the electrical shock can pose hidden dangers to the nervous system, heart, and brain. It’s dangers like these that claim hundreds of children’s lives per year.” ~ Guardian Angel Safety
Each day, nearly 7 children are treated in hospital emergency rooms for electrical shock or burn injuries caused by tampering with a wall outlet.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 70 percent of child-related electrical accidents occur at home, when adult supervision is present.
The Guardian Angel Safety Outlet:
Installation: You don’t have to be an electrician or rocket scientist to install this device. Installation was simple and straight forward anyone can do it. You just have to remove the outer cover from the outlet then plug the device in and tighten the screws provided in the kit.
The technology behind this device is nothing short of amazing. It uses capacitive sensing to continuously monitor the receptacle. Basically, what happens is, it has a sensor that is always on. Once this sensor detects an electrical conducive material like fingers, hairpins or any electrical conductive material within that comes within a 1/4 of a inch it the device shuts down. This thing is so smart it can tell the difference between a plug in from an appliance and a electrical conductive material. Once the object is away from the device it restores power as normal. Another great security measure is the fail safe feature. If, for some reason this device fails, it will automatically cut the power and remain in this state until the product has been fixed.
I have tested this product by plugging in my laptop. When you initially touch the plug in to the outlet you will hear a click and this turns off the power which is indicated by a green light that flashes inside one of the receptacles. Once you remove your hand after about a couple of seconds you will hear another click and power is again restored. While my laptop was plugged into one of the outlets I touched the other side with my finger and it clicked and turned off the power at the outlet. I tried this several times with different objects and it worked perfectly every time. You don’t have to place an object into the receptacle for it turn off you just have to be above the small portion around were you plug it in for this device to work. You can touch all around the perimeter of the device and it stays on, but if you get near the insert portion, the device shuts down automatically.
The only suggestion I would make to Guardian Angel Safety is to remove the flashing light inside the receptacle hole. This seems like it is beacon light calling kids to it saying “mess with me”. I would do away with this just for the simple reason technology can fail, and although this device does have the fail safe feature, I would try not to attract unnecessary attention to it.
The Guardian Angel Safety outlet is a great product to have for the most used outlets in your home to protect your children from outlet malfunction and childhood curiosity. Please visit Guardian Angel Safety for more information.