To help parents find “better for you” ideas that kids are excited to eat, five leading natural and organic brands have created Rock the Lunchbox – an online library with nearly 300 lunchbox ideas and tips from parents and bloggers. We all want our kids to eat healthy but we need to find that balance between healthy and delicious, kid-friendly foods!
The second Rock the Lunchbox survey, conducted by Annie’s®, Applegate, HONEST® Kids, Organic Valley® and Rudi’s Organic Bakery® found that:
- “Homemade Gets High Fives”: 61 percent of kids prefer bringing lunch from home versus buying lunch at school
- “It’s a Labor of Love”: 51 percent of kids say it’s important that their parent makes them lunch to bring to school
- “Snack Swapping Popular”: 64 percent of kids trade items from their lunch with friends. And, snacks are the most coveted item in kids’ packed lunches; 54 percent say they trade their snack for a different snack.
- “What’s New?”: 53 percent of kids say the items in their lunch are the same every day
- “Daily Dilemmas”: 51 percent of parents say they struggle with variety and coming up with new ideas to make lunch healthy and delicious
- “Parents Prefer to Pack”: 83 percent of parents say that it’s important to prepare their children’s lunch for school; 95 percent say it’s important to provide healthy options in their children’s lunches
Here is my son’s drawing of his favorite lunch:
Be sure to check out all the sponsors for this fun event: About Annie’s |About Honest Tea | About Applegate | About Organic Valley | About Rudi’s
Want some coupons to save on great Back to School foods? Go to rockthelunchbox.com to print them.
After we did some shopping and compromising, we can up with a lunch that he loved, was easy to pack and was nutritious too! We already LOVE Annie’s Chocolate Bunnies, so those were our first pick. Rudi’s Gluten-Free Raisin bread paired perfectly with Cheddar Cheese- after all, raisins and cheese were one of my favorite snacks growing up. Fresh summer squash and zucchini are actually some of my son’s favorite veggies and they have more nutritional value than cucumbers. You’re never too old for Honest Kids Juice Pouches!
What would your favorite lunch be? Be sure to go HERE to submit your idea and to get great coloring pages from Crayola.
Rock the Lunchbox is in its second year of helping parents give kids what they want at lunchtime – more balanced, delicious options and variety. The website offers ideas for kids of all ages and dietary preferences, including:
Gluten free, nut free and vegetarian choices
Informative, short video clips by parents that explain how to keep menus creative, packing time short, and involve the kids
Ideas for staying connected to children during the day via notes and lunchbox messages
Tips for packing a healthy lunch for picky eaters or kids with allergies
Time-saving tips to turn simple into healthy and delicious
For more information, please visit www.rockthelunchbox.com, and follow the conversation on Twitter with #rockthelunchbox.