We are living in an age where we are surrounded by diseases. For diseases that are air borne, are difficult to escape from. But what we eat or drink is definitely in our control. At any household, the control of safety and cleanliness lies in hands of every member of the family. Although, the mother of the house is always the boss in this department. How can you, as a mother, ensure complete health safety for your kids? By taking care of one simple element of what your kids consume, you can win half the battle. Drinking lots of water is a suggested solution for all problems, since it flushes out impurities from your body. But what if this water itself is impure? How can you be 100% sure that what you are drinking is safe? If your kid consumes water that isn’t 100% pure, then it can lead to enteric diseases like diarrhoea, dysentery, typhoid, paratyphoid, gastroenteritis, cholera, etc. Read these tips on you can be sure of what you consume and avoid these diseases.
1. The foremost step for pure water is to choose the cleanest source to store water. Many a times the source of water is clean but the storage vessel isn’t. Make sure you wash the storage vessel before each new refill of water.
2. Boiling the water is the most common form of disinfecting water. This is a 100% safe and sureshot method of removing any bacteria from drinking water. A 2-5 minute boil is enough to kill all the germs.
3. Chlorine is an effective agent to identify bacteria. One can use Chlorine tablets to add in drinking water to remove bacteria. Although, the disadvantage of using chlorine tablets is that one has to wait for as much as 4 hours after adding the tablet before one can drink the water. Having said that, Chlorine doesn’t leave an after taste in the drinking water.
4. Filtration of water is another common method used by many. There are many bottle filters available in the market. Filters help in eliminating bigger chunks of dirt from the water. There also are many filters which help in disinfecting too.
5. There are certain chemicals available which help in identifying whether the drinking water contains bacteria or not. One such is ChekNsee. All one needs to do is, take a sample of the drinking water and put it in a small bottle. Add ChekNsee pouch content in it and leave it aside for 18-24 hours. If the water turns yellow then it means the water is not suitable for consumption. If it remains violet then it indicates that the water is clean.
6. Water purifiers are the most widely used technique to purify water. With a minimum service charge, you can get safe drinking water for years long. One can either drink directly from the purifier or fill a storage vessel with this drinking water.
Consuming contaminated drinking water can lead to multiple problems. Especially in kids, because their immune system is not as strong as adults. The diseases that an adult or a kid is prone to, after regular consumption of infected water are, diarrhoea, schistosomiasis, malaria with water-related vectors, legionellosis carried by aerosols containing certain micro-organisms. Not only this, some of these diseases can also lead to death, if proper medication and care is not taken at the right time. For complete health safety of your kids, you should adopt any of the above mentioned techniques to remove bacteria from your drinking water. Water, sanitation and hygiene go hand in hand. Be safe and stay healthy from diseases.
Dr. John Jefferson is a gynaecologist, practicing since 13 years. Through these years, he has handled many complicated cases and came out victorious in cracking them successfully. While sharing his experiences and tips with patients, he always believes in solving the root of the problem. He also lectures and gives guidance to students in medical schools.