This year, make room for a new Thanksgiving friend. With a few simple materials, you and your child can create a dashingly dressed Pilgrim guest for the holiday.
What you’ll need
- Craft glue
- 4 1/2- by 6-inch rectangle of tan paper
- Cardboard toilet tissue tube
- Black and white felt
- 1-inch pieces of yarn
- A pipe cleaner
- Silver paper
How to make it
Body and Head: Glue the tan paper around the cardboard tube, then glue a piece of black felt (ours is 2 1/2 inches wide) around the lower portion of the tube for a jacket. Next, glue on a notched 6 1/4- by 1-inch strip of white felt for a collar and yarn pieces for hair, then use the markers to draw on facial features.
- Arms: Cut the pipe cleaner in two, then trim 1 inch from each half. Set aside these smaller pieces. Glue each of the large pipe cleaner pieces between two 3 1/2-inch strips of black felt, letting the end of the pipe cleaner extend past the edge of the felt. Bend each pipe cleaner end into a hand shape, then glue the arms in place on each side of the tube.
- Legs: Place each of the 1-inch pipe cleaner pieces at the end of a long strip of black felt, as shown at left. Top with a matching felt strip and glue the strips together. Glue two felt boot shapes together over the end of the pipe cleaner foot, then glue the top of each leg inside the cardboard tube.
- Hat: Glue a 1-inch-wide strip of black felt around the top of the cardboard tube. For a brim, cut out a 3-inch circle of black felt, then cut a 1 3/4-inch circle from its center. Slide the brim down to the bottom edge of the felt strip and glue it in place. Then glue the smaller felt circle to the top of the tube. Finally, cut three small buckles from the silver paper and glue them to your Pilgrim Pal’s hat and shoes.
Courtesy of Family Fun.