Childhood is a time to be spent outdoors, enjoying the breeze on your face. But sadly, the hot and humid summer brings a lot more than just breeze, there is the heat and sweating as well. Most kids, even though they like to play out, avoid going outdoors for the very reason. Even when it’s snowing, there are only so much snowmen and snow angels that you can build in your backyard.
There are many nice activities that you can engage your child in when they are forced to stay indoors. Watching television is not the only option because there are many other fun things to do. The following list will help you out –
- Writing Stories – Writing is a very good habit and not just from the academic point of view but also for your child’s growth. It encourages imagination and makes you child think out of the box. So, get your child a nice writing desk to make it more creative and give them pretty pens to write their heart out.
If your child is far too young to write stories, then you can get them audio books to listen to. Audio books can be very fun because the artists do voices and it is really entertaining. You can even act out the characters of the books with your kids and have a small personal skit.
- Puppet Show – Remember the fun time spent in your childhood making or attending puppet shows? You can do the same with your kid. There are ready made puppets available in the market that you can use to create a show of your kid’s favorite fairytale. Give them a part in it and watch them go wide eyed with joy.
- Treasure Hunt – This is the best activity for a bad weather day and will surely bring out the adventurer in you and your kid. Plant some treasures like chocolates or small gifts in the house and leave your child clues to find it. If they can’t read the clues, you can always draw them out on a piece of paper. To make it more interesting, make a casual map of the house with crayons and mark the x spot.
- Cooking – If your child has begun to show interest in cooking, let them bake with you. You could bake their favorite cupcakes and let them do the icing. If you are making pasta, let them help you with the sauce. You can use this exercise to teach them some basic math as well. So, this activity is fun as well as educational.
- Fun in the Above Ground Pool – Pool decks are a fun way to spend time when it is really hot outside. Your kid would stay busy and cool in the pool and you can do your work as well. Get them bright looking swimming gear and watch them have fun! Above ground pool packages will help you do it in an affordable manner.
If your child is forced to stay indoors, they would be bored and lethargic. So, let them go out, if possible. For other cases, you have a lot of fun activities to do now!