If you’re a man interested in adding a little extra style to your wardrobe, there are several items that will do just that almost instantly. You don’t have to spend a fortune to liven up your look. Instead, just add one staple piece of clothing and several accessories to achieve a contemporary, stylish appearance.
- Navy blue blazer or sport coat: There’s something about the color navy blue. Not only does it go with virtually any skin tone, it also blends nicely with everything from gray or navy dress slacks to jeans. Wear just about anything under it: a crisply ironed dress shirt, sweater or even a polo shirt. You’ll be amazed at how much wardrobe mileage you’ll get from this clothing staple.
- Jewelry: One of the hottest recent style trends in men’s fashion is jewelry, and some of the most popular selections are stainless steel bracelets. Even if you’re not used to wearing jewelry, you’ll be surprised at how a quality piece can really add polish and style to your overall look. Stainless steel is becoming increasingly popular in men’s jewelry, due in part to its impressive durability and relatively low price. You’ll find plenty of stainless steel bracelets to choose from, such as a two-tone piece with brown PVD accents.
- Sunglasses: For decades, stylish sunglasses have been doing double duty – not only do they provide important protection from the glaring rays of the sun, they also make just about anyone look cool. A quality pair of sunglasses can carry a pretty high price tag, so if your budget is a concern, opt for a less expensive pair. The important features to look for are protection against harmful UV rays – sunglasses should block at least 99% of both UVB and UVA rays – and they should be large enough to shade the sensitive skin around your eyes. If you spend a lot of time on the water, choose a pair with polarized lenses to cut down on glare.
- Hats: One very quick way to add panache to your look is a stylish hat. Just think about the male celebrities who have topped off their style by donning attractive hats. Whether your taste leans more toward a fedora, a newsboy cap or even a western cowboy version, you’ll definitely kick your style up a notch with the right hat. One word of warning: choosing a hat that’s too casual for the occasion – a baseball or knit cap, for instance – can have just the opposite effect. Be sure that the hat you choose is suitable for where you’ll be wearing it and the clothes you’ll be wearing it with.
- Handkerchiefs or pocket squares: Keeping a neatly folded handkerchief or pocket square hearkens back to the mid-20th century, when it was considered fashionable for every man to dress up his look with this handy accessory. Pocket squares and silk handkerchiefs come in virtually any color you can think of, so choose one that complements your blazer and the shirt you’re wearing.
- Scarves: Another popular contemporary men’s fashion accessory is the scarf. Once again, you’ll find plenty of color selections from which to choose. Whatever hue or pattern you decide on, be sure it coordinates nicely with the rest of your outfit and that the color complements your skin tone since you’ll be wearing the scarf around your neck and close to your face.
- Briefcase or man’s bag: Women have long had the luxury and convenience of being able to carry a purse. Now, men have the opportunity to enjoy the same convenience with either a briefcase or a man’s bag. A briefcase is handy for carrying paperwork and a phone or tablet PC, for example, but choose a man’s bag if you want room to carry both electronic devices and a light jacket or workout clothes.
Cindy White writes about stainless steel bracelets and other jewelry for JustMensRings.com.