How much does your babysitter know?
Are you one of those moms that leave a 2 page list of do’s and don’ts or do you jot your number down and run out the door?
Here are 10 things your babysitter should know- no matter how old your child is.
- How to call 911! Hopefully your child knows how to do this as well.
- Basic First aid: make sure your babysitter knows when to just use a bandaid and when to call for help. Do they know how to do the Heimlich manuever?
- Make sure they have a phone number of where you will be. Leave your cell phone number and the number of the restaurant or house your will be at as well.
- Does your child have allergies? Make sure your babysitter knows them.
- Does your child have any medical problems? Be sure your babysitter knows them, if they apply.
- Emergency supplies: Make sure the babysitter knows where you keep flashlights in case the power goes out.
- House rules: if your child is only allowed to watch 30 minutes of TV before bed, make sure your babysitter knows the rules.
- Punishments: Let your babysitter know it’s OK to put your child in a time-out. It should not be OK to spank.
- How to change a diaper: Obviously, this is very important if your child is still in diapers.
- How to prepare food: If your child likes a warm bottle, make sure your babysitter knows how to heat it properly.
I highly recommend that you ask your babysitter to take a babysitting course. They offer then at schools, community centers, hospitals or colleges.
A good babysitter will know all of the above AND keep your child entertained and happy. If you child asks for the babysitter to come back, you know they did a great job!