There is a huge selection of different brands offering pet food; all these products are convenient to buy at supermarkets. But if you look at the labels of these feeds, you will notice a lot of delicious recipes for dishes that are suitable for animals and that reflect their specific nutritional restrictions. Therefore, why should you worry about any problems associated with homemade dog food? Moreover, taking into account the prices of quality pet food, making the same food at home will save significant amounts.
Many of the dog food products contain harmful chemicals and poor quality meat. If you read the composition indicated on the product packaging, you will most likely see offal meat as one of the main ingredients. Unfortunately, these are the so-called by-products made from various parts of animals that are not suitable for human consumption. These ingredients may not harm your dog in the short term, but they certainly will not provide your pet with optimal nutrition.
In the future, it can even lead to long-term health problems like cancer. Of course, not all dog food products are of this kind. By searching and sorting them out, you can find a pet food that contains good quality natural ingredients. If you are looking for a quality product, you can check the new Safeway ad on rabato.com and pick a product to meet your expectations.
However, non-canned pet feed products will never be better than good homemade food. With the right approach, you can make good home-made food quickly and cheaply.
Raw or Cooked Food for Your Pet?
When preparing home-made food for your pet, it is critically important to ensure it contains all the nutrients it needs. The best way to do this is to develop a diet based on meat at 70% and on fiber as well as carbohydrates at 30%. The choice of the most suitable meat for feeding the dog depends on its age and food restrictions (if any). For example, for older and overweight dogs, chicken, turkey, and fish are ideal due to the low-fat content.
The two main problems that arise when cooking pet food are its high cost and the lack of free time. Buying fillet for your dog every day can cost a lot! Obviously, daily buying the best meat is not reasonable for most people, especially if you have more than one dog or a large dog. Here are some tips on making homemade dog food more affordable:
- Leftovers – A great way to reduce the cost of meat for pet food is to use leftover food from a family meal. So if you have Sunday roast, just give it to the dog along with leftover chicken and other pieces of meat;
- Pieces of meat – Try to find cuts and leftovers from the meat in the supermarket before the store closes;
- Special days – Choose one or two days a week to feed your dog with meat, while the rest of the week, your pet eats “regular food.” You can also save your budget by checking special offers on online grocery stores or making use of online discount calculators;
- Cook for “tomorrow” – Cooking homemade pet food does not mean that you have to do that every day. If you cook a large pot of minced meat, vegetables, and pasta, you can freeze it, and then simply defrost a certain portion;
- Buy high-quality food – If you don’t have enough time to prepare pet food, then the next best option for your pet will be the feed with the best quality ingredients available in stores. Obviously, they will cost significantly more than the “standard food.” However, if you buy big amounts of the products, you can significantly reduce the cost of feed.
Preparing home-made food for your pet is a smart decision because you always know what you feed your pet with and will make sure that your dog gets all the micro-elements and nutrients it needs.