When kids are little, finding costumes is easy peasy because you (the parent) has total control over what they are going to wear. But when our tiny, beautiful, wonderful children turn into teenagers, finding costumes can be a nightmare!
Teens are in this stage where they are too big to wear children’s costumes and too young to wear adult costumes (cough – especially girls). Sometimes the costumes that they want are far, far, away from the costume you will allow them to wear. Finding that happy medium can mean a compromise or, simply, creating your own together.
We have compiled a list of twenty-five costumes that we believe will appeal to teens. If the costume linked (below) begins with “DIY”, it will be linked to a blog friend’s DIY costume project. If the costume doesn’t state it is a DIY, it will be linked to a store-bought costume instead.
My favorite homemade costume is the How to Train Your Dragon costume that is made from a sweatshirt. It might be a little too child-like, but if you have a teen who is still a fan, they will love the laid-back, yet dressed up, option is provides.
One of the most affordable costumes on our list is a do-it-yourself pinata costume. Meaningful Mama’s idea is pretty genius. She took an old dress and glued streamer paper directly onto the material. She fringed the paper to give it the real pinata look — her project turned out spectacular!
- DIY Pinata Costume (Girls/Ladies)
- DIY Muppets Halloween Costumes (Unisex)
- DIY Mermaid Tiara (Girls/Ladies)
- DIY “How to Train Your Dragon” Costume (Boys/Unisex)
- DIY Magic Man Costume (Unisex)
- DIY Raccoon Costume (Girls)
- DIY Glowing Stick Man (Unisex)
- DIY Mystery Incorporated Costumes (Boy/Girl/Unisex)
- DIY Edith (Despicable Me) (Girl)
- DIY Wednesday (Adams Family) Costume (Girl)
- DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume (Girl)
- DIY Purple Minion Costume (Unisex)
- Minion T-Shirt Costume (Unisex)
- Minion Costume Dress (Girl/Ladies)
- Genie Costume (Disneys Aladdin) (Boy)
- Baymax (Big Hero 6) Costume (Boy)
- Maleficent Costume (Disney Descendants version)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Kylo Ren
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Rey Costume
- Beach Bum Wig for DIY Costumes
- Biohazard Zombie Shirt
- The Walking Dead Zombie Costume
- Scream Costume
- Huntress Costume
- Evil Queen Costume (Once Upon a Time Inspired)
Did you notice? We couldn’t give you a list of twenty-five Halloween costumes for teens without tossing in the latest Disney favorites. My girls selected costumes inspired by Disney Descendants and Once Upon a Time — did you see them? The evil queen costume is breathtakingly beautiful!
Click on the images below to find your teen’s costume this year!